Sunday 19 August 2007

ejabberd gets XEP-0033: Extended Stanza Addressing

I consider finished my GSoC task of implementing XEP-0033: Extended Stanza Addressing in ejabberd.

The implementation is divided in several parts:

The largest part of the code is in the multicast service (mod_multicast).

Tomorrow is the GSoC pencils down deadline. This means that I will be evaluated only for the code that I wrote until today.

I expect all my code to be eventually included in ejabberd trunk. However, I'll propose that mod_multicast is disabled by default in the example configuration. At least in the first ejabberd release that includes that module.


Benchmark

I made some benchmarks using Jabsimul. The performance indexes that I could evaluate are only the %CPU and MB of RAM consumed by the ejabberd program. I created 900 accounts, and populated each one with around 40 roster items of type 'both'. Then, using Jabsimul each logged user changed its presence every few seconds.

With the patches and the multicast service enabled with small rosters and small chatrooms (less than 5 contacts or paticipants), there's a small increase in CPU consumption. With medium-size rosters (40 roster items), the CPU consumption triplicates in respect to the stock ejabberd trunk version.

Obviously, I don't consider acceptable when the CPU consumption is multiplied by 3 just because all the packets use XEP33 with 40 destinations. The bottleneck is mod_multicast.

However, this result does not surprise me at all. During my GSoC coding I only cared about optimization in the patches that will be commited to ejabberd trunk: ejabberd_c2s, mod_muc_room and ejabberd_router_multicast. I didn't care about code optimizations in mod_multicast. For me it was far more important the functionality correctness. Now that mod_multicast works correctly, I can concentrate in improving it without breaking its correctness.

This planning allowed me to do all the stuff that I planned for my GSoC project, and finish the summer with correct and working code. During the last week of August I plan to profile, reorganize and improve mod_multicast to reduce its computational consumption as much as possible.


Unexpected improvement

The funny thing is that my patches to ejabberd core with a disabled multicast service reduce slightly the CPU consumption compared to the stock ejabberd trunk version. This means that there is a possible optimization in ejabberd that does not deal with XEP33 at all. If properly investigated, this improvement could be included in ejabberd trunk and benefit all ejabberd deployments, not only the ones with multicast enabled.

No comments: